Unsure why your teeth appear yellow and dull? You might consider how your morning coffee is contributing to the discoloration of your smile, but did you know there are different types of tooth stains? Because not all are the same, it is important that you understand how they occur and ways you can effectively remove them. In this article, we will look at what can cause teeth to change color and three types of treatment designed to breathe new life into your smile.
How Are Tooth Stains Different?
There are three different types of tooth stains: intrinsic (inside the tooth), extrinsic (surface of the tooth), and age-related. While many people turn to store-bought whitening kits, the reality is that these products only remove some surface stains but are highly ineffective when reaching those beneath the surface.
Before we discuss how you can safely and reliably achieve a brighter smile, it is important to understand what can cause these tooth stains to occur:
- Intrinsic Stains: These form inside the tooth, penetrating beyond the initial enamel layer. They are most commonly caused by medications, excess fluoride, genetics, tooth decay, and facial trauma.
- Extrinsic Stains: These form on the surface of your teeth (the enamel) and occur because of dark-colored foods and beverages and tobacco.
- Age-Related: Tooth enamel is known to wear down as you age. Normal chewing, eating, and talking can result in this layer becoming thinner over time, making it easier for stains and discoloration to be noticeable to others.
3 Cosmetic Treatments Designed to Get Rid of Stains and Discoloration
The good news is that while stains are never something you want on your teeth, there are safe and effective ways to get rid of them! While you can spend your hard-earned dollars on countless over-the-counter products, you are better off seeing a skilled cosmetic dentist in Marysville. During an initial consultation, you and your dentist can discuss various options that are designed to hide these problems and leave you with a whiter, brighter smile. Three of these solutions include:
- Teeth Whitening: With a professional at-home whitening kit, your dentist can help you get rid of stains in only two weeks! With customized whitening trays and high-grade bleaching gel, you will see a noticeable difference in the color of your smile, leaving you to feel more confident in your appearance.
- Veneers: These thin sheaths of porcelain are customized to fit comfortably and naturally over your existing teeth to hide various imperfections. Created based on the desired size, shape, and color, you can enjoy a completely transformed smile that is free of stains and discoloration in just two appointments.
- Cosmetic Dental Bonding: Less invasive than veneers is cosmetic dental bonding. Requiring no tooth enamel removal, this tooth-colored composite resin is applied directly to the enamel. Your dentist will shape and sculpt it into place, effectively covering the stains and leaving you with a brighter, more beautiful smile in just one visit.
Stains and discoloration no longer have to be your reality. With the help of a qualified professional, you can enjoy a brighter smile that helps to boost your confidence and captures the attention of those around you.
About the Author
Dr. John Ludu is a cosmetic dentist in Phoenix who achieved his doctorate at the Tufts University School of Dental Medicine. Undergoing various specialty education courses, he has more than two and a half decades of dentistry experience. Dr. Ludu and the dental experts at Devoted Family Dental believe in offering exceptional solutions to transform smiles. If you are looking to say so long to stains, contact us at (623) 444-6222.